- Always use a cupped hand or fingers.
- Percussion/pats should be firm but never painful, a bit like burping a baby after a feed.
- Never treat straight after a feed – wait at least 1 hour after or just before a feed.
- Percussion/pats is done over the ribs only. It should not be done over the stomach or lower back.
- Percussion/pats is never applied over bare skin; always have a layer of clothing or towel over the area being treated.
- Percussion/pats should always be started when baby is awake, but it is ok to keep going if they fall asleep.